The Four of July is practically synonymous with fireworks. So if you are looking for some entertaining arts and crafts to do with your little ones, this mini firework pom-pom project from The Merry Thought is a great idea. This fun and easy project is a wonderful project to complete on a rainy day or a weekend afternoon. With just a few simple supplies, you can create a beautiful and festive mobile that will add a touch of whimsy to any room. If you are planning a Fourth of July celebration use red, white, silver, and blue colors, to make this craft patriotic. Then you can use it to decorate your backyard, dining area, or living room.
This project requires just a few simple supplies, most of which you may already have on hand. If you are missing any materials you can visit your local arts store or run to a large department store. You are likely to find these supplies in the art section.
- Metal hoops
- Nylon string
- Pipe cleaners
- Jump rings
The instructions for this project are easy to follow and can be completed in less than an hour.
- Grab your pipe cleaners and a ruler to measure and cut the pipe cleaners into 2-inch pieces. You’ll need twelve cut-up strips for each pom pom.
- Next, it is time to tie up the pipe cleaners. Wrap a smaller piece of pipe cleaner around the center of the pipe cleaner.
- Make sure that you tie the center pipe cleaner tightly.
- Now that it’s all tied up. Fluff the pipe cleaners so that they form little starbursts resembling fireworks.
- Repeat steps 2-4 to make as many pom-poms as you want.
- Thread the nylon string through the hoop.
- Tie the three long nylon strings to the hoop at three evenly spaced points.
- Tie the nylon strings around the jump ring so that you can hang the mobile while you attach the pom poms.
- Hang the mobile with a hook or nail. You could even use a command hook to hand a miniature version inside your Toyota from Mike Shaw Toyota. Just be sure not to block the driver’s line of sight when you do.
- Make it your own. There are many ways to vary this project to make it your own. You can use different colors of pipe cleaner, different sizes of pom-poms, or even add other embellishments, such as beads or sequins.
You might also like: Remember These Summer Car Maintenance Tips
- The team at The Merry Though used an old lampshade to complete this project. For a more professional look, use a metal hoop instead of an old lampshade.
- If you don’t have a glue gun, you can use hot glue instead.
- Be careful not to over-tighten the string when you tie it to the hoop. This could cause the pom-poms to fall off.
- If you want to hang the mobile from a ceiling, you can use a longer piece of string.
This DIY mini firework pom-pom mobile is a fun and easy project that is perfect for a Fourth of July arts and craft project. Happy crafting!
Disclaimer: The stock image is being used for illustrative purposes only, and it is not a direct representation of the business, recipe, or activity listed. Any person depicted in the stock image is a model.